Facebook Image
Twitter Image
Blogger Image
Planning Terminology

We'll add to this section as we come across useful bits of explanation.

The Local Plan and the LDF

Lewes District Council (LDC) uses a lot of jargon and multitude of confusing acronyms...

The Lewes District Local Plan is a document that sets out what LDC plans to do with land in the district and how it will control development. The current Local Plan was adopted in 2003 and although superseded by the Local Development Framework (or LDF as it is usually referred to) as a result of changing government legislation it still guides most of the LDC's day-to-day planning decisions. Just to add to the confusion (and due to further changes in government legislation) the Local Development Framework is now (Dec 2012) in the process of being turned back into (guess what!) the new Local Plan. Having said that, the Core Strategy document (see below) remains the key document and will become Part 1 of the new Local Plan which looks ahead to 2030. The Core Strategy is about to go into its public consultation phase prior to being adopted.

So what follows could be said to be out-of-date now, but unless you understand the gist of it you'll get lost in the acronyms, all of which are still in use.

Planning Use Classes

The following list gives an indication of the types of use which fall within each 'use class' referred to by planning authorities in their various documents concerning proposed developments. Please note that this is a guide only and it's up to individual local planning authorities to determine, in the first instance, which class a particular use falls into, depending on the individual circumstances of each case.

  • A1 Shops - Shops, retail warehouses, hairdressers, undertakers, travel and ticket agencies, post offices (but not sorting offices), pet shops, sandwich bars, showrooms, domestic hire shops, dry cleaners, funeral directors and internet cafes.
  • A2 Financial and professional services - Financial services such as banks and building societies, professional services (other than health and medical services) including estate and employment agencies and betting offices.
  • A3 Restaurants and cafés - For the sale of food and drink for consumption on the premises - restaurants, snack bars and cafes.
  • A4 Drinking establishments - Public houses, wine bars or other drinking establishments (but not night clubs).
  • A5 Hot food takeaways - For the sale of hot food for consumption off the premises.
  • B1 Business - this class is formed of 3 parts: offices (other than those that fall within A2), research and development of products and processes, light industry appropriate in a residential area. Reference to B1 employment floorspace usually refers to B1 a.
    • B1 a: Offices.
    • B1 b: Research & Development.
    • B1 c: Light Industry.
  • B2 General industrial - Use for industrial process other than one falling within class B1 (excluding incineration purposes, chemical treatment or landfill or hazardous waste).
  • B8 Storage or distribution - This class includes open air storage.

Key to any successful regeneration project is the masterplan which must combine the aspirations of all the parties involved, be it the owner, developer or resident.

Local authorities the length and breadth of Britain are in the process of renewing urban areas to eliminate the mistakes of the past and provide attractive, safe spaces where people can live, work, shop and play.

In almost every case, public sector seed money is backed up by private investment. The aspirations of both funding parties have to be recognised and catered for, as well as those of the people who will ultimately be using the space. The key to this lies with the masterplan and the engineers who draw it up.

Affordable Housing

Affordable housing is not available on the open market - it is available as social-rented, affordable-rented or shared-ownership housing and is managed by registered Social Landlords, who may be Local Authorities.

The UK has a long tradition of promoting social-rented and affordable-rented housing. This may be owned by local councils or housing associations. There is also a range of affordable home ownership options, including shared-ownership schemes (where a tenant rents part share in the property from a social landlord, and owns the remainder).

Housing associations are not-for-profit organisations with a history that goes back well over a hundred years. The number of homes under their ownership grew significantly from the 1980's as successive governments sought to make them the principal form of social housing, in preference to local authorities. Many of the homes previously under the ownership of local authorities have been transferred to newly established housing associations, including some of the largest in the country. Despite being not-for-profit organisations, housing association rents are typically higher than for council housing. Renting a home through a housing association can in some circumstances prove costlier than purchasing a similar property through a conventional mortgage.

Section 106, Planning Gain and the CIL

A Section 106 agreement requires a developer to make a financial contribution to the community or provide affordable housing or infrastructure as part of obtaining planning permission for a development.

A Section 106 agreement determines what will be paid by a developer to a Local Planning Authority in order to offset the costs of the external effects of a development. For example, if a developer were to build 100 new houses, there would be effects on local schools, roads etc., which the Local Authority would have to deal with. In that situation, there might be a Section 106 agreement as part of the granting of planning permission. The developer might agree to build a percentage of those houses as affordable housing or make a contribution towards the provision of new schools or traffic calming on local roads.

Planning Gain refers to the increase in the value of land which results from planning permission being granted for that land. This increase in land value mainly benefits the owner of the land, but a levy or tax may be applied to divert some of the planning gain to the public sector. Such arrangements are currently negotiated privately between developers and local authorities, and take place under the terms of Section 106 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, but this will cease in April 2014.

Convenience and Comparison Goods

The expression Convenience Goods means food and non-alcoholic beverages, tobacco, alcoholic beverages, newspapers and periodicals and non-durable household goods.

The expression Comparison Goods means any other goods, including clothing, shoes, furniture, household appliances, tools, medical goods, games and toys, books and stationery, jewellery and otherpersonal effects.



Confused by the terminology? We'll do our best to help explain some of the jargon!

Facebook Image
Twitter Image
Blogger Image

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. To find out more about the cookies we use, please see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.